PDA

View Full Version : Dealer says he has a "no internal lock" S&W 442, but how will I know?

KAYSPOP
10-28-2009, 05:21 PM
The gun shop I use tells me they have what I am seeking: the S&W 442 with no internal lock...but how will I know when I see it? I mean, it won't say "no internal lock" on the side, so....how can I tell if it is indeed a "no -lock" model??

Thanks

drgrant
10-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Uhh, it has no lock hole on the sideplate... It'll simply be "not there. "

-Mike

Hanwei
10-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Um... the revolvers with the internal locks have a key-hole on the left side of the gun right above the cylinder release latch.

So... if the revolver you see does not have a key-hole above the cylinder release latch, it is indeed a non-internal-lock version.

[grin]

Internal Lock
http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/438.jpg

No Internal Lock
http://www.topgunsupply.com/images/D/IMGP1713.JPG

MetalgodZ
10-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Pics here: http://www.gunblast.com/SW-25Mountain.htm

As the previous posters said...if there's no lock, there's no hole.

ScottS
10-28-2009, 05:36 PM
S&W 442 with lock. Look above the cylinder release:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7019&stc=1&d=1256762151

S&W without lock. Look above the cylinde release:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7020&stc=1&d=1256762154

ETA: SECONDS! MERE SECONDS!

KAYSPOP
10-28-2009, 05:36 PM
cool thanx guys

Fooped
10-28-2009, 05:39 PM
This is something I never quite got. What difference does it make if the gun has an internal lock or not? Is it simply the fact that there's a "nanny device" on the gun, thus making less desirable?

ScottS
10-28-2009, 05:41 PM
This is something I never quite got. What difference does it make if the gun has an internal lock or not? Is it simply the fact that there's a "nanny device" on the gun, thus making less desirable?
A device that's not there cannot fail into the Lock position and render the gun inoperable.

Cuda444
10-28-2009, 05:41 PM

Supposedly there are reports of the internal lock failing, rendering the gun useless in a time of need. I haven't seen the reports, nor have I looked all that hard. My 442 has a butt-ton of rounds through it and never a hiccup.

K-DUB
10-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Having owned & carried both, I personally would prefer the no-lock model. I'm paranoid of it accidentally locking itself & thus being useless as t*** on a bull if I need it.

Uncle Fester
10-28-2009, 05:44 PM

It's a combination of that, and that it's one more mechanical complication (an unnecessary one at that) that could fail at an inopportune time.

drgrant
10-28-2009, 05:47 PM

1. The lock sucks, it's worthless.
2. See number 1. [grin]
3. Even if you didn't read #2, there's a slim (albeit, non-zero) chance the lock could fail and engage itself, which turns your firearm into a brick.

#3 doesn't happen very often, but there have been some documented cases with S+Ws where it did happen. Even if you have a gun with a lock, you can usually have a competent smith make it inoperable.

It'd be a lot better if it wasn't there at all, though. Eventually I think S+W will get a clue and the lock will start to disappear from more and more models.

It's not something that would stop me from buying an S+W product, but I
can say that I'd much prefer not having the lock.

-Mike

Fooped
10-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Seems like a reasonable gripe with the gun.

Atlas
10-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Not long ago, near the end of a range session, I took my 642 out of my pocket, removed the SD ammo, loaded up some target ammo, aimed, squeezed and could not budge the trigger. What a feeling that was, I carry this gun often. After unloading and checking it over it seemed that the lock must have engaged. I had been wanting to remove the stupid thing for a while but had'nt got to it. So I went home, looked up the youtube vid (s+w internal lock removal) which is excellent, removed the lock and now the gun functions fine. This gun had seen many rounds and was always perfect before this happened. I would urge anyone with these lock's to remove or have them removed asap.

appraiser
10-28-2009, 06:47 PM
there are multiple videos on youtube on how to remove the lock mechanism with basic hand tools.

Atlas
10-28-2009, 07:09 PM
It's also very easy.

yanici
10-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Not long ago, near the end of a range session, I took my 642 out of my pocket, removed the SD ammo, loaded up some target ammo, aimed, squeezed and could not budge the trigger. What a feeling that was, I carry this gun often. So I went home, looked up the youtube vid (s+w internal lock removal) which is excellent, removed the lock and now the gun functions fine. This gun had seen many rounds and was always perfect before this happened. I would urge anyone with these lock's to remove or have them removed asap.

The thing to do. I wouldn't carry an S&W revolver with the lock.

My 22 cal. 617 has an IL but that's strictly a range use gun. My 642, 38 snubbie has no lock. That's my pocket gun.