PDA

View Full Version : Scope - PRS AR10/308 for RRA LAS-8?

Grendel
10-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Ok, before someone tells me to call them, I've got email and vmail into both Magpul and Rock River Arms.

I just recently acquired a Rock River Arms, LAR-8 Varmint. Like my AR other rifles, I want to put a PRS on it, by Magpul.

They state: "Stock is not compatible with Bushmaster BAR-10 and Rock River Arms LAR-8."

Anyone know why? I am willing to change out parts, if needed. I despise the A2 stock.

Next question:

I routinely shoot 600yds and want to really get out there. I've been using Nikon Monarch scopes for a while, I really like them. However, I have a little bit squirreled away and I would like to step up the scope a bit.
Thinking very hard about a Nightforce, but there are certainly other scopes out there now.

What's your .02 about the scope I should put on this?

qmmo
10-22-2009, 07:02 PM
I use a Leupold Mark 4 Tactical scope on a .308 bolt rifle. The rifle used to have, of all things, a Nikon Monarch (its why I put this post up). My 2 cents...hope it helps.

Skald
10-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Ok, before someone tells me to call them, I've got email and vmail into both Magpul and Rock River Arms.

I just recently acquired a Rock River Arms, LAR-8 Varmint. Like my other rifles, I want to put a PRS on it, by Magpul.

They state: "Stock is not compatible with Bushmaster BAR-10 and Rock River Arms LAR-8."

Anyone know why? I am willing to change out parts, if needed. I despise the A2 stock.

Could it be the tolerances on the rear receiver differ from the DPMS and other lowers?

Also, congrats on your new rifle. Hope to see some pics of targets.

As far as the nightforce scopes, I have heard lots of good things about them.

Grendel
10-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Could it be the tolerances on the rear receiver differ from the DPMS and other lowers?

Also, congrats on your new rifle. Hope to see some pics of targets.

As far as the nightforce scopes, I have heard lots of good things about them.

See, that's the thing, I can't imagine what would be different. I've fit different uppers to this lower (playing around) and I can put an ACE skeleton stock on it... it' uses a standard buffer, tube and spring.

Of course, it does take G3 magazines, which matches my FAL quite nicely, one of the reasons I acquired it.

Bob P
10-22-2009, 07:49 PM
See, that's the thing, I can't imagine what would be different. I've fit different uppers to this lower (playing around) and I can put an ACE skeleton stock on it... it' uses a standard buffer, tube and spring.

Of course, it does take G3 magazines, which matches my FAL quite nicely, one of the reasons I acquired it.

Dude, WTF would you want to put an ACE on a NH gun? I've got one but I live in Commichusettes.

Grendel
10-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Dude, WTF would you want to put an ACE on a NH gun? I've got one but I live in Commichusettes.

I don't, thus the question about the PRS :)

Bob P
10-22-2009, 07:52 PM
That makes sense! What kind of groups are you getting?

Grendel
10-22-2009, 07:53 PM
That makes sense! What kind of groups are you getting?

No idea, I have yet to fire this one.

Bob P
10-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Well put some rounds through that puppy and post the targets! Sounds like a nice gun.

Grendel
10-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Well put some rounds through that puppy and post the targets! Sounds like a nice gun.

Needs a scope, it has no sights on it at all.

This is it:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=257

I bought it about 1.5 years ago, they finally delivered it.

Bob P
10-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Holy crap, they were backed up that bad?

Grendel
10-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Holy crap, they were backed up that bad?

Yep.

PantherarmsAR10
10-22-2009, 08:14 PM
I have the Magpul PRS on my EBR and love it.. I would recommend getting a Super Sniper scope.. IF you are coming to the pumpkin shoot find me and you are welcome to give me AR a try and see if you like the scope and the stock.

Grendel
10-22-2009, 08:19 PM
I have the Magpul PRS on my EBR and love it.. I would recommend getting a Super Sniper scope.. IF you are coming to the pumpkin shoot find me and you are welcome to give me AR a try and see if you like the scope and the stock.

I had a PRS and Super Sniper on a DPMS I sold a while back. Seemed like a helluva combo. When I saw yours at the last shoot, I almost swore it was it.

Skald
10-22-2009, 08:39 PM

Reading the RRA LAR-8 page it says the LAR-8 has some unique threading which could be why it wont accept the PRS. You put in an email to the guys at Magpul?

Grendel
10-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Reading the RRA LAR-8 page it says the LAR-8 has some unique threading which could be why it wont accept the PRS. You put in an email to the guys at Magpul?

I asked the Magpul and Rock River Arms folks why it won't take the PRS via email and left vmail today. No response as of yet.

jenlynn724
10-22-2009, 11:12 PM
You shoot 600 yards?? It would take a half hour to get to my target.. [laugh]

Blitz1
10-22-2009, 11:13 PM
I routinely shoot 600yds and want to really get out there.

What kind of rifle are you shooting?

Grendel
10-22-2009, 11:16 PM
What kind of rifle are you shooting?

DSA-FALhttp://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv214/cmaro21/NH%20Shoot%2001/IMG_5244.jpg

Both rifles pictured are mine. The SOCOM can get out there, but with far less accuracy.

It's one of the reasons I stepped up to a 24" barrel.

Grendel
10-22-2009, 11:17 PM
You shoot 600 yards?? It would take a half hour to get to my target.. [laugh]

The range I go to has a great, mil style range with drop targets and a pit to hide in. 1 person spots while the other shoots. We also use a spotting scope. We do drive to the pits though :)

vellnueve
10-22-2009, 11:41 PM

The Ace (and even the A2) are pretty nice stocks, period. And way more economical.

Grendel
10-23-2009, 10:09 AM
BTW, the load I use was designed by a friend of mine:

Brass - LC once fired military - trim to 2.003. Normally I use 2.005 but most of these cases were a hair shorter.

Powder - 41.5g Ramshot TAC

Bullet - 175g SMK

Primer - CCI large rifle

OAL - 2.820

Runout - Less than or equal to .002

Velocity - 2640 fps out of 24" bbl.

It rocks.

Blitz1
10-23-2009, 10:17 AM
What are you using for the scope on the Socom? I have one (Socom) as well and am looking for a good scope.

Grendel
10-23-2009, 10:20 AM
What are you using for the scope on the Socom? I have one (Socom) as well and am looking for a good scope.

Leupold Vari-X 2.5-8x32mm EER

Granted, it's tough to use at 600, but I am easily on paper. One of the reasons I am building the new rifle.

You're more than welcome to try mine... I put a different stock on mine, a Vltor.

Bob P
10-23-2009, 10:21 AM
The Ace (and even the A2) are pretty nice stocks, period. And way more economical.

I don't hate mine, but if I lived in a free state I'd have something adjustable.

Grendel
10-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Justin from Magpul called me today. (awesome service!)

The Bushmaster and RRA both use G3 mags, which clip in from the back side of the magazine.

This means the charging handle is a 1/4" longer than a stock Ar10/DPMS LR10.

I'd have to cut a 1/4" off of the PRS cheek plate to use the charging handle. Not bad but it would leave a gap where you could see the buffer tube.

I think I am going ahead with it.

vellnueve
10-23-2009, 10:44 PM
I don't hate mine, but if I lived in a free state I'd have something adjustable.

I very much like mine... sure, I'd probably have a UBR or something on my M4gery if I were in a free state, but the full-length Ace would be my stock of choice on my SPR-type rifle (The PRS is too heavy and too bulky IMO).

Grendel
10-23-2009, 10:51 PM
I very much like mine... sure, I'd probably have a UBR or something on my M4gery if I were in a free state, but the full-length Ace would be my stock of choice on my SPR-type rifle (The PRS is too heavy and too bulky IMO).

The barrel on this thing would far out weigh the PRS :)