PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here know what Liquid Carbonic is?

Finalygotabeltfed
09-06-2009, 02:24 AM
Its in a tall pressure cylinder. Can't find any google entries on it as far as chemical properties.

Is it liquified CO2 or something caustic? Not opening it, just want to know what it is.

Hiltonizer
09-06-2009, 02:33 AM
I would assume it is just pressurized Carbonic Acid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_acid), similar to how liquid Nitrogen is just pressurized Nitrogen (consequently being friggin cold)

disclaimer: I am not a chemist, I just work at a place that has a lot of awesome chemicals to play with.

Jimmy2Times
09-06-2009, 04:10 AM
Tom, liquid carbonic is liquified CO2, as in the stuff used in soda fountains.

Finalygotabeltfed
09-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks J2T.

Finalygotabeltfed
09-06-2009, 08:33 AM
I would assume it is just pressurized Carbonic Acid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_acid), similar to how liquid Nitrogen is just pressurized Nitrogen (consequently being friggin cold)

disclaimer: I am not a chemist, I just work at a place that has a lot of awesome chemicals to play with.

Thanks, but your assumptions in chemicals could be hazardous to my health.[hmmm][hmmm]

appraiser
09-06-2009, 08:41 AM
http://www2.itap.purdue.edu/msds/docs/11102.pdf

any manufactured product needs a MSDS, which you can get rom the manufacturer, distributor, seller, or your employer

radioman
09-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Was also a compressed gas company up until the 90's out of Canada

radioman
09-06-2009, 08:49 AM

Liquid nitrogen is not compressed nitrogen it's cold nitrogen -350 degrees F about. It can exist in the proper container at 1 atmosphere. Out of this container it will boil off into the air at a rapid rate and will 3 degree burn if you touch it

m4bushy
09-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Tom, liquid carbonic is liquified CO2, as in the stuff used in soda fountains.

No liquid carbonic was an industrial gas supplyer. They bottled various gases. What color is the cylinder? Usually co2 is silver, oxygen is green, argon is red, actylene is black. There are also various mixes with multicolored cylinders.

radioman
09-06-2009, 08:54 AM
No liquid carbonic was an industrial gas supplyer. They bottled various gases. What color is the cylinder? Usually co2 is silver, oxygen is green, argon is red, actylene is black. There are also various mixes with multicolored cylinders.

Be careful here. Don't go by color. There are no standard colors required by the Compressed Gas Association(CGA)!! Many companies use there own proprietary colors. If there is no label treat the cylinder as dangerous. Even if you know the gas handle the cylinder carefully. Return it to any gas supply house if you don't know where it came from. They will take it from you and find its proper home or dispose of it. Better yet have them come out and get it. You don't want to violate any Mass transportation laws. If you thought the gun laws were bad try the rules for truckers. I worked with compressed gases for years.

Finalygotabeltfed
09-06-2009, 09:44 AM

Tall slender silver cylinder. I'm aware of the color coding of the various gas cylinders but was going by the paint stenciled label.

The cylinder is probably old enough to be one from the Liquid Carbonic company. If its just CO2, I'll use it with my mig welder but wanted to be sure what it was before aquiring it and or opening it. Thanks.

radioman
09-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Tall slender silver cylinder. I'm aware of the color coding of the various gas cylinders but was going by the paint stenciled label.

The cylinder is probably old enough to be one from the Liquid Carbonic company. If its just CO2, I'll use it with my mig welder but wanted to be sure what it was before aquiring it and or opening it. Thanks.

Don't go by the color. There is no
"color coding of the various gases" to be aware of. Every company uses a different system. See my last post! If the tank has a CGA 320 valve, it "could " be CO2 but maybe not. It could be a mixed gas. Using an unidentified compressed gas can be deadly. Google CGA 320 if you don't know what one looks like. Being careful will not help. If you don't know the gas for sure DON"T USE IT!! This is the last I'll say on this

MACGYVR
09-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Take it outback and shoot it.

No need to know the gas at that point.

theGringo
09-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Take it outback and shoot it.

Yup. That's what I would do. [wink]

m4bushy
09-06-2009, 06:47 PM

if there isn't a lable on it i wouldn't use it. co2 valves are kind of unique looking they have external threads and a small hole where the gas exitst the valve. They seal to the regulator with a plastic washer kind of like a garden hose. argon and most other compressed gasses use a valve with internal threads and use a taper fit on the regulator. i do believe Liquid Carbonic had some acetylene tanks that weren't like the standard tanks with the t-handle valve. they looked like a short fat standard cylinder.

KMaurer
09-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Liquid carbonic (carbonic acid) was used to generate CO2 for soda fountains back when. There is (not was as some have suggested) a company by the same name that produces an assortment of gasses for various purposes. I think their nearest local presence is in the Woonsocket Industrial Park just of 146. I'd suggest checking with them before proceeding on some assumption that may or may not be correct about the contents.

Ken

Jimmy2Times
09-07-2009, 12:34 PM

Another NES expert. [rolleyes]

Yes, there was a company called Liquid Carbonic, back in the day. Liquid carbonic is also a term used for liquified CO2 for use in soda fountains as I previously stated. A lot of your "expertise" in this thread such as your color coding advice for pressurized cylinders is dead worng. Know what your talking about before you go around giving advice. Toxic and pressurized gases is my business, so unlike you, I know what I'm talking about.

radioman
09-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Liquid carbonic (carbonic acid) was used to generate CO2 for soda fountains back when. There is (not was as some have suggested) a company by the same name that produces an assortment of gasses for various purposes. I think their nearest local presence is in the Woonsocket Industrial Park just of 146. I'd suggest checking with them before proceeding on some assumption that may or may not be correct about the contents.

Ken

Liquid Carbonic was bought by Praxair Technologies of Danbury Conn in 1996. They may or may not still use the Liquid Carbonic name in some of there products or stores. If they do the company survives in name only. Just as the other poster noted-compressed gases are my business and I know them very well. Lets just say there are no old bold gas men.

yanici
09-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Liquid Carbonic was bought by Praxair Technologies of Danbury Conn in 1996. They may or may not still use the Liquid Carbonic name in some of there products or stores. If they do the company survives in name only. Just as the other poster noted-compressed gases are my business and I know them very well. Lets just say there are no old bold gas men.

Yeah, they're located right here in Tewksbuy.

radioman
09-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Yeah, they're located right here in Tewksbuy.

This plant has been there for years do to the fact the land is so contaminated that they can't sell it! The LCC filled acetylene at that location for years and buried there old tanks(a common practice in the past). The cost to clean the property is for more that just to keep it and pay the property taxes. I delivered to that plant for years but haven't heard much about it lately.

m4bushy
09-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Another NES expert. [rolleyes]

Yes, there was a company called Liquid Carbonic, back in the day. Liquid carbonic is also a term used for liquified CO2 for use in soda fountains as I previously stated. A lot of your "expertise" in this thread such as your color coding advice for pressurized cylinders is dead worng. Know what your talking about before you go around giving advice. Toxic and pressurized gases is my business, so unlike you, I know what I'm talking about.

ok your the obviously the smartest person here. You may think what you want but i've been around welding gasses for 20+ years and those are the colors that MOST supplyers around here use. I wasn't talking about milspec color banding, i was stating the color of the bottle as delivered from the welding supplyer. all the vendors that we have used around here pretty much use the colors in various shades that i listed.

no welding gas supplyer that we have dealt with stamped the contents into the cylinder as the original poster said. the stamped name is the owner of the cylinder "LIQUID CARBONIC" content lables were attached when they were filled.

All bottled co2 is liquid, it's the valve system that is used that either draws vapor or liquid