PDA

View Full Version : Milk down the drain?

rapture
07-12-2009, 03:24 AM
A while back, I bought a cottage in NH and had septic system installed. After the installation was complete, the guy installing it gave me the basic rundown on keeping it "healthy", such as no flushing paper towels and using only septic-safe toilet paper. Since then, I've always been very careful about what goes down the drain, making sure everything is 100% biodegradable and septic-safe. So far I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

One thing he told me that I found a little odd was to never dump milk down the drain. He said that milk will actually kill the "good bacteria" and could eventually cause the septic system to get clogged up. So far I've heeded his advice. Has anyone else ever heard that milk is bad for septic systems? It just seems a bit far fetched to me, but for all I know, he's probably 100% right.

glostamon
07-12-2009, 05:37 AM
Got Milk?

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss266/glostamon/milk.jpg

Lignum Vitea
07-12-2009, 06:59 AM
Have not heard that before, sounds like BS to me. Milk kills good bacteria? Say one gallon in a thousand gallon tank? not likely. Concentrated bleach maybe.

Lilorfnannie
07-12-2009, 11:11 AM
It might be possible that milk could breed a competing organism and take over. But I don't see how it would work in a setting like that. I don't know either way.

T3andme
07-12-2009, 11:25 AM
A competing organism to what's in Sh%^. Not likely. If you are really concerned, flush some bakers yeast once or twice a year. Best thing for septic systems.

yanici
07-12-2009, 11:30 AM
A lot of people never pump their tanks and they slowly fill with solids. Then the solids eventually get out into the leech field and clog it. It's a good idea to pump the tank every 2-3 years, just to keep the solids from causing trouble.

Business
07-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Last house i lived in with a septic system i lived in from 89 to 2001 we poured milk down the drain "just the bits left in the kids glasses after dinner not whole cartons" and we never had our system treated when it was time to pass title 5 to sell it we passed with no problem.

Zappa
07-12-2009, 12:26 PM
My uncle and cousin install and repairs septic systems and they tell me the big no-no is bleach, that's what kills the "good" bacteria. If your washing machine drains into a septic system don't use bleach in the wash. A small amount won't hurt much, but it has a cumulative effect. If you do two washes of whites a week, the bleach will cause a problem.

center442
07-12-2009, 12:59 PM
A lot of people never pump their tanks and they slowly fill with solids. Then the solids eventually get out into the leech field and clog it. It's a good idea to pump the tank every 2-3 years, just to keep the solids from causing trouble.

Yep. Mine is due to be pumped this summer. I have it done every 3 or 4 years. I've been told repeatedly that it's the solids that build up that cause the problems. I've also heard the yeast recommendations, along with chopping up and flushing some bad fish. Don't think I'm going to be trying that one....

The best advice I ever got was from an old guy who had a septic pumping business. His advice:

"Have a big party and invite a lot of people. Feed them baked beans or chili with beans early on and make sure they stay around for a while. They'll be 'good to go'....and so will your septic system!" [laugh]