PDA

View Full Version : 10 lb. trigger pull law?

dukefan70
07-11-2009, 06:52 PM
My father recently got his M&P .45 and good reviews all around except the trigger pull is set at 10 lb. After asking a few people we were told that MA state law requires that the trigger pull on handguns be no less than 10 lb. and that it was illegal to adjust it lower.

1. Is it true that there is a 10 lb. trigger pull law?
2. If so, exactly what are the stipulations or does someone have a link to it?

Much obliged in advance.

Rob Boudrie
07-11-2009, 07:02 PM
You have been told incorrectly. The regulation which requires 10lb (or alternate safety features) only applies to a "licensed purveryor of handguns" (i.e., a MA licensed dealer). It does not pertain to private sales, nor does it prohibit the modification of trigger pull by the end user.

The CMRs are in http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=cagoterminal&L=3&L0=Home&L1=Government&L2=AG's+Regulations&sid=Cago&b=terminalcontent&f=government_Regulations_940CMR16&csid=Cago

You will find that some dealers will not do trigger jobs to reduce the weight below 10lbs, because they are concerned that the AG might consider this "part of the sale" (using the same general theory that Feds use to assert that multiple cash transactions structured to avoid the bank reporting requirement is also illegal).

vellnueve
07-11-2009, 08:11 PM
You can have it worked on with no problems.

appraiser
07-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Bring it to Derr Precision in Marshfield and he will fix it up for you... reasonable cost too!

jenlynn724
07-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Bring it to Derr Precision in Marshfield and he will fix it up for you... reasonable cost too!

I had Greg Derr lighten my M&P 9c.. He does excellent work..

Bob P
07-11-2009, 09:11 PM
I had Greg Derr lighten my M&P 9c.. He does excellent work..

Jenlynn, are you happier with you M&P now that you've had the trigger done?

(sorry for the thread hijack, yes you can have the trigger done, I did and it made a huge difference. Larocca in Worcester did mine)

jenlynn724
07-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Jenlynn, are you happier with you M&P now that you've had the trigger done?

(sorry for the thread hijack, yes you can have the trigger done, I did and it made a huge difference. Larocca in Worcester did mine)

I am very happy with the trigger, the difference is night & day..

Bob P
07-11-2009, 09:21 PM
I am very happy with the trigger, the difference is night & day..

Good!

LenS
07-12-2009, 01:08 AM

Another testimonial to Greg Derr's work. I had him do trigger jobs on 2 of my M&Ps.

Of course we don't know where the OP is located. So Mike Larocca (Worcester) or Dave Santurri (N. Attleboro) may be closer for him/her. All 3 gunsmiths can do an excellent job for relatively cheap money (especially compared to running rounds thru the gun to "smooth it out").

dagwag77
07-12-2009, 08:06 AM
I'll give Dave Santurri a plug here - he did my M&P 9c and did a fantastic job with 1 day turn around!

jadek
07-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Mornin....... Any smiths that would do it in the north end of the Conn. river valley????????

WILDCATT
07-13-2009, 04:36 PM
aint it a bitch when you pay the money you pay and have to spend more to make it work.I wonder if all the police guns are that way.

jenlynn724
07-13-2009, 04:43 PM
aint it a bitch when you pay the money you pay and have to spend more to make it work.I wonder if all the police guns are that way.

The 10 pound trigger pull doesn't apply to Police officers..

dukefan70
07-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks all. I realize it's a matter of personal preference, but just out of curiosity, what trigger pull do you all have on ur M & Ps (or any handgun)? Also, how much did the trigger job cost at the places that were recommended (LaRocca, Santurri, Derr)?

Cross-X
07-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks all. I realize it's a matter of personal preference, but just out of curiosity, what trigger pull do you all have on ur M & Ps (or any handgun)? Also, how much did the trigger job cost at the places that were recommended (LaRocca, Santurri, Derr)?

4 lbs on my M&P9, by Greg Derr.

LenS
07-15-2009, 10:07 PM

M&Ps - LaRocca quotes $125 each, Derr - $65 each. Not certain about Santurri (I think it was ~$85, but not certain).

2 FS M&Ps done by Greg Derr are at 5#
1 Compact M&P done by Dave Santurri is at 4.5# (done for prior owner).

dagwag77
07-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Santurri I think was $89, he put my M&P9c to around 6-6.5lbs