PDA

View Full Version : S&W Sigma Magazines preban/postban

Tater
05-05-2009, 03:32 AM
Is there a way to tell if a sigma magazine is pre ban or post ban? I am picking up a sigma for short money but it only comes with 3 ten rounders and I would like to find some high caps for it. I want to make sure that they are not post ban mags though. I want to be a law abiding citizen.[grin]

Len-2A Training
05-05-2009, 10:11 AM
I used to own a Sigma 40 and had pre-ban hi-caps for it. I sold the gun and the mags, so this is from memory.

It is my understanding that POST-BAN, S&W re-designed their hi-cap mags such that were 1 round less (14 round) than the pre-ban hi-cap mags (15 round). I suspect that they probably did the same thing with the 9mm mags, but don't know for certain.

DickWanner
05-05-2009, 10:42 AM
I used to own a Sigma 40 and had pre-ban hi-caps for it. I sold the gun and the mags, so this is from memory.

It is my understanding that POST-BAN, S&W re-designed their hi-cap mags such that were 1 round less (14 round) than the pre-ban hi-cap mags (15 round). I suspect that they probably did the same thing with the 9mm mags, but don't know for certain.
I wanna say you are correct, an FFL friend of mine was just accidnetally shipped a Sigma 40 with post-ban hi-caps and they were both 14-rounders.

Len-2A Training
05-05-2009, 11:11 AM
NWanner, both the Sigma and the mags were bought by me DURING the Fed Ban, so I know that what I had were pre-ban. I only know that D&W down-sized the mags after the Fed Ban ended by indirect info (reading in forums and S&W catalog).

Looking at a 2008 S&W catalog right now:

- Sigma 40 - 14 rd mags (post-ban)
- Sigma 9 - 16 rd mags (post-ban)

DickWanner
05-05-2009, 01:47 PM
NWanner, both the Sigma and the mags were bought by me DURING the Fed Ban, so I know that what I had were pre-ban. I only know that D&W down-sized the mags after the Fed Ban ended by indirect info (reading in forums and S&W catalog).

Looking at a 2008 S&W catalog right now:

- Sigma 40 - 14 rd mags (post-ban)
- Sigma 9 - 16 rd mags (post-ban)
Yes, I was saying that I agree with you...

graftyman
05-05-2009, 05:11 PM
The Sigma 40 (SW40VE)mags that are pre-ban are technically for the SW40F. They are 15 Rounds.

There was no distinction of what it was in the markings on the magazine. I knew mine was pre-ban because I bought the 15 rnd mag during the Federal Ban and it did not have LEO markings.

vellnueve
05-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Sigma mags are easy

I have a Sigma SW9F (preban)

17 round mags - preban
17 round LEO marked mags - not preban
16 round mags - postban

Additionally, the preban mags show a noticeably wider gap between floorplate and grip when inserted than postban mags.