PDA

View Full Version : Non-latin characters on an FA-10 form?

jdubois
03-08-2008, 12:51 PM
So I just bought a Mosin-Nagant M91/30 from out of state, and I went to fill out the FA-10 and realized that the serial number for the rifle is 'MБ337'. So... what the heck do I fill out on the FA-10 form? I have little doubt that the state's automated FA-10 scanner isn't set up to handle Cyrillic characters. But do MA regs anywhere actually specify that the serial number has to be in latin characters?

There is an importer assigned number on the receiver, 'MH8603', I could just use that...

Twigg
03-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Use the number on the 4473 and/or receipt.

jdubois
03-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Use the number on the 4473 and/or receipt.

C&R transaction. No 4473 and no serial number on receipt.

Twigg
03-08-2008, 04:48 PM
C&R transaction. No 4473 and no serial number on receipt.

Aha. Then you have a very good question indeed. [thinking]
Meaning I have no idea....

Big_Red
03-08-2008, 04:55 PM
From what little Russian I remember I am fairly certain that that's a letter "B".

**I've found a reference confirming it**

http://www.xyzpc.com/temp/russian_alphabet.gif

jdubois
03-08-2008, 06:25 PM
From what little Russian I remember I am fairly certain that that's a letter "B".

So you're suggesting I do a cyrillic to latin conversion on the serial number? Well, that's the best idea I've heard yet.

dwarven1
03-08-2008, 06:43 PM
So I just bought a Mosin-Nagant M91/30 from out of state, and I went to fill out the FA-10 and realized that the serial number for the rifle is 'MБ337'. So... what the heck do I fill out on the FA-10 form? I have little doubt that the state's automated FA-10 scanner isn't set up to handle Cyrillic characters. But do MA regs anywhere actually specify that the serial number has to be in latin characters?
That's not YOUR problem - it's MA's. If I were you, I'd just copy the serial number EXACTLY as it appears on the gun and let the CHSB worry about it. Honestly, I doubt they'll even notice it...

jdubois
03-08-2008, 07:05 PM
That's not YOUR problem - it's MA's. If I were you, I'd just copy the serial number EXACTLY as it appears on the gun and let the CHSB worry about it. Honestly, I doubt they'll even notice it...

Yeah, that option occurred to me as well. I'm sure the scanner would read the 'Б' as a '6' and it would get entered that way and begin collecting virtual dust like all the other records. Anyway, the whole affair certainly isn't causing me any angina, more of a 'huh... well now that's an interesting question...'

Big_Red
03-08-2008, 08:18 PM
So you're suggesting I do a Cyrillic to Latin conversion on the serial number? Well, that's the best idea I've heard yet.

Yeah, why not? You could enclose the aforementioned Cyrillic Alphabet with your FA-10 [wink]

If that were me, I would convert it.

JonJ
03-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Did you carefully look the piece over? The importer will sometimes re-serialize the gun.

jdubois
03-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Did you carefully look the piece over? The importer will sometimes re-serialize the gun.

Yes, there is an importer serial number on the side of the receiver. Should I just use that instead of the original serial?

JonJ
03-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Yes, there is an importer serial number on the receiver. Should I just use that instead of the original serial?

Yes sir.

jdubois
03-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Excellent, that solves the whole problem!

vellnueve
03-08-2008, 11:26 PM
JonJ nailed it on the head. To be imported, these rifles had to get new serials. As far as BATFE is concerned, the serial the importer stamps is the real serial number, and the original is just an interesting mark on the rifle.

That also means you cannot obliterate the import serial.

The interesting thing would be if you got an original, non import marked Mosin, that only had the original serial.

gws1063
03-10-2008, 05:09 PM
IANAL or an importer, for that matter, but I believe that the "right" serial number to use is MH8603. I *think* that importers have to assign numbers from groups that are registered with the BATF, just as manufacturers of new firearms do. This allows for a unique starting point for any future trace.

On the other hand the notion of using Cyrillic, or better yet Devanagari, on an FA-10 has a certain appeal.

-Gary

Edit: ***Oops - long delay before hitting "Post" button reduced relevance of reply.

jdubois
03-10-2008, 09:41 PM
I believe that the "right" serial number to use is MH8603.

I just sent the FA-10 form in today and that's what I used. So I'm all set, at least until I start buying whatever Indian guns you've obviously got your eye on. [wink]

madmarc0
03-11-2008, 11:49 AM
When ever you have an imported gun with a stamped serial by the importer you should always use that.

Example: Centry import M44 should read in your bound book in the mfg spot CAI (centry arms importers) and the serial that they stamped on the rifle. If they did not stamp anything on the rifle just use the one already on there.
USA does not have any way to list cryillic letters so just use the numbers.

I know Centry or whomever did not make the rifle but it has to read that way.

jdubois
03-11-2008, 12:17 PM
I know Centry or whomever did not make the rifle but it has to read that way.

Just to clarify, you should list BOTH the manufacturer and the importer in the first column, correct? The CFR is a bit confusing, as the format example shows the first column title as "Manufacturer and/or importer" but the text of paragraph (f) says "the name of the manufacturer and importer"

madmarc0
03-11-2008, 03:10 PM
You just have to list the importer not the manufacturer. I do both but you do not have to.