PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL E-CIG / APV FAQ THREAD

Diamonds
04-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Alright a few ppl msged me about advanced personal vapes and ecigs in general I just spent some time writing it up i'll post it here and i'll create a topic so its easier to find for people. Really hope it helps even just one person. Don't flame me for the length theres alot of crap i had to explain for people new to it that may get overwhelmed on there own like I did but I spent over a week researching watching hours of videos, and reading forums. Here we go

This will be long winded - sorry in advance. I'll be writing off the top of my head from the info I've gathered.

So few things you should know. Ecigs is commonly known for the ones you've seen at the mall and advertised on the radio. (starter kits are $70ish for those ones and they are junk). Batteries are only about 180mah (milli amp hours) so that means it'll probably only last you about 35-1hr depending on your frequency of taking drags. Vaping on a vape / ecig is not like smoking a cig, think of it more like hookah, a bit slower steady draw into your mouth and a inhale into your lungs after your drag (the right mix will give you good throat hit).

I spent about 100 on one mod, 50 on the other and 35 on the next, about 200-250 for 3 APV setups, you need not go that far, I do it as a hobby too now least that's what I'm telling myself haha. I did the cost saving and i would save about 1400 bucks a year not smoking. once you have your setup you like you'll spend per month maybe 30-40 bucks on reup supplies (replaceable parts / juice etc) you can get a good ego kit for 20 bucks.

There's a few parts to a personal vape.

-Power source (rechargable non-replaceable / rechargable replaceable)
-Heating element (atomizer)
-eJuice delivery system to the atomizer
-mouth piece

The one ppl know about:

-Gas station/Mall style (510 size that look like cigs) (i.e. Blu / Greensmoke / v2 / volt / Halo G6) These are nice and compact for a short night out or if you want to be more discreet and have less bulk. Be forewarned they do not last long. The thing with these is that most people get annoyed with them and don't stick to them. Once you break the battery in, you'll find yourself constantly rotating batteries on and off the charger. These usually consist of:

- The battery (approx - 90mAh - 240mAh) Which really will last you maybe hour or two if you just puff once and awhile during the day. If you are a heavy vapor (most ex smokers i know start out that way when they switch) it'll last you 45min maybe per battery. You can choose "automitic" or "manual" (not all vendors have both) Manual to me is my preference you can control when to fire the battery to take a drag. Automatic will sense when you are pulling and activate the battery accordingly.

-The atomizers - Atomizers is the heating element, a coil of kanthal wire of some nature hooked up to a positive and negative lead. (this is a really small part) Most "gas station style ecigs" have a disposable atomizer which is attached at the bottom of a "cartridge" i'll go into that next. This part will screw into your battery. Atomizers heat the E-juice/E-Liquid turn it into vapor for you to inhale.

-The Cartridge - These are usually sold to you inside the kit (you'll get maybe 5 of them) boasting they are equivalent to 1 pack each (that is a lie). What they don't understand is that you don't inhale on a personal vape (PV) or Ecig like you would a real cigarette (vaping community deems real tobacco cigs as "analog cigs" (don't ask me why) So they will not last you when I used these my first go around with ecigs, they were gone in less then a week.
So they'll sell you pre-filled cartridges for you to replace or blank ones where you can buy juice separately and fill it yourself. I call these cartridges as well because they do not last nor have the quality vape as a cartomizer. Same concept, think of a zippo, there's cotton packing inside the tube with a center tube inside that. the cotton packing surrounds the center hole (your airflow post) and you drip juice into the cotton til it soaks and it should last you X number of puffs.

-E-juice / E-liquid - This is made up of typically 3 parts. Yes they are chemicals, but are they worse then tobacco, I would say NO (IMO). E-liquid comprises of a mix of Propylene glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycerin (VG). It's up to you if you want Nicotine (most smokers trying to quit will).
Note: Some people have said they have allergies to VG so that is possible to irritate, nothing serious that i've read about.
Most E-juice vendors use FDA approved PG / VG mixes but you must know FDA won't regulate the mix or back anything that remotely enacts "smoking"

PG - This along with your choice level of nicotine will determine how strong your throat hit will be. General rule is more PG, more throat hit, less PG less throat hit.

VG- This determines the amount of vapor production that comes out when you vape along with the atomizer resistance and the battery power (voltage and/or wattage they go hand in hand anyways)

Nicotine - Typically the scale is think of each milligram is a percent so 16mg nicotine = 1.6% nicotine is in the solution of e-liquid. you can go from 0-no nicotine, 4-8mg considered ultra light 10-12 light/med 14-16 medium 18-24 med/high 24+ ultra high. Nicotine plays a role in throat hit as well, usually when you first start it may feel a bit harsh but it evens out.

E-juice when it steeds, or sits for a few days settles more and vapes better. Good vendors make E-juice to order so its fresher, they say shelf life is about 2 years. Keeping it room temp away from sun is good a bit cooler like AC room is fine, but HOT and Cold and back and forth is bad for the potency of the mix and can dull it dramatically.

Alright Sorry I know this is like an essay, but I'm trying to put together all my thoughts from weeks of research, reading forums, reading blogs, watching youtube vape experts and some of my own experimentation.

Now you guys have a good general background of the basics of each part. Sorry if you already knew that stuff.

OKAY - Let's get to the ones that may work out even better for you, and be less of a hassle, which in turn may make you want to stick to it as your new vice to quit smoking real cigs.

EGO style batteries are the market standard for entry level and a good vape on the go. It's Leaps better then the ecigs at the gas stations.

Ego style batteries are rechargable but NOT replaceable, so replacing it means you throw that away and buy another battery. Typically they last a couple months 2-4months depending on your vaping habits and frequency. What I mean by rechargeable but not replaceable is that the battery itself is the actual BODY of your "mod" or device. The FIRE button to actuate the heating element is attached the the body.

-650mAh is the smallest EGO style (revision C is the latest and C-Twist is the variable voltage model more advance) The capacity I think they have is 650,900,1000,1100,1300mAh. The higher the number the longer it lasts between charges. 650 should get you 4hrs roughly - 1000-1300 will last you the day at work until your home relaxing and maybe more. It's a good beginner setup. cheap batteries cost $10-30 (usually 25 for the 1000, and variable voltage ones). Everyone should have at least 1 of these in your "arsenal" of mods.

Diff between standard Ego and Ego Twist is that the standard will put a constant voltage out when you fire it, giving you a 1 dimensonal vape, you can't adjust it it's based on the battery you are using and the power it has usually 3.7-4.2v depending on the battery. The higher the voltage the hotter the vape (note: your voltage or wattage correlates with the resistance on the atomizer) (low resistence atomizer, lower voltage can be used, higher resistance atomizer the higher the voltage can be used)

More advance personal vapes (APV) consists of 3 styles right now:

-Mechanical - a tube or box body with a trigger to actuate. There are fixed ones that take a certain battery and that battery only (18650, 18500, 18490, 14500, 13650) sorry if my numbers are off. 18650 is my personal choice, long lasting and great batteries. Most use button head and some mods can use both protected and non-protected IMR batteries (high drain). The ones that use High drain have built on safety circuits in the MOD itself so the battery does not need to be protected. This saves mm on length. There is also telescoping mods which can accept different type / size batteries which also change the overall length of the mod. I have some that look like light sabres. jk these range anywhere from 10 bucks - 200 bucks

Note: a "evolv kicker" chip can be used alongside some MOD's providing the tube is long enough to accept it, to add variable wattage settings to the mod making it more customizable vape.

-Variable Voltage (VV) mods, I'm not an expert in electrical things, im actually a mechanical engineer haha. You can adjust the voltage you would like to use depending on the resistence of the atomizer you are using. so you can use a low resistence atomizer and and turn the voltage to where you like it turn it too high it might cut the life of the atomizer down, the standard/higher resistence atomizers you can crank up the power to match it and have a good vape whereas if you didn't have this ability, you would be underpowering it which could give u a good vape, but not optimal in taste or throat hit.

-Variable Wattage (VW) Some personal vapes are VW, this means you can kind of "set it and forget it." You choose the wattage you typically find that you like, and depending on the resistence of the atomizer, it'll automatically set the voltage and adjust the power sort of. Correct me if im wrong anyone that's just my understanding.

-Devices (MODs) Some are both VV/VW its your choosing.

I typically go for stainless steel mods ONLY for durability and longevity. Though there are some nice plastic bodied mods, i prefer to stick with stainless.

Now to the atomizers

-Dripping style - you just drop a few drops every so many puffs and vape as you go not for everyone. These are just atomizers by themself and the delivery system for the eliquid is you putting drops into it.

-Cartomizer / Cartomizer Tanks - This is like a zippo, cotton packing in a plastic or stainless steel carto where you fill it up with juice (there's typically standard and XL size think brands like smoktech / boge. Then you also have brands like DCT who put out a carto-tank setup that that has a cartomizer go down the center of a tank, sealed off at top and bottom. you fill the tank up with juice and the carto usually has holes punched in the walls (metal ones) that allow the juice to soak up in the packing thus giving you a longer duration (depending on tank size you use) between refilling the juice.

-Clearomizer tanks - these are same concept, (note: get the replaceable head ones) This means you can buy 1 tank and just switch out the atomizer head when it dies. This system uses silica wicks, that draw juice up or down or into the atomiser rather then having a carto with cotton packing. Ppl say these give a more dull taste / lighter draw but it really depends on which clearo you go with read and watch reviews on youtube. I'll post links to 2 guys I trust with reviews and wealth of information later.

-Rebuildables, there are rebuildable tank and atomizer only setups that allow you the user to build the atomiser yourself. I use stainless steel mesh as my wick, you need to carbonize it to cut off conductivity in shorting out your loop. and kanthal wire to make the coil for the heating element. This is more for ppl who like doing it and or are more advance. I just started and practicing.

So I Know this is super long and I commend anyone who cares or wants to read all of it. I had to watch and learn as I researched and piece all this information together on my own as I had no idea what I was seeing / hearing / reading at the time when vapors talked. It is REALLY NOT HARD, I hope all my writing doesn't deter anybody. It's really simple when you watch a video on a mod you think you may be interested it. usually all it is is, get a battery put it in, screw on a carto/tank etc with juice in it and put your mouthpiece (drip tip) on and you're ready to rock.

I will link you guys with some great equipment below to get you started. you can buy kits or piece together your own stuff, just browse around. if you piece it together, battery or Ego batt / atomizer or cart/clearo / juice ------ puff away. dont forget a charger.

VaporJoes.com - Deals on Vaping Goods (http://www.vaporjoes.com)

lancecolonel
04-09-2013, 10:17 AM
diyflavorshack.com is another good place to get juice.

Zepp
04-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Virgin vapor, Johnson creek and electronicstix (g2 flavor)..... Love both of my zens....genesis all the way! I wish I could find a machine shop to produce a nice black or non bright stainless pv...

Diamonds
04-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Nice! I just ordered the new stainless model smoktech groove hope its not a waste of money. 3800mah.

Itaste I think will still be better I'm partial to box mods just fits in my pocket better.

The itaste svd works great love that too was going to get a provari but couldn't justify the price.

Good hope ppl keep contributing links and places for good equipment.

Zepp
04-09-2013, 12:36 PM
I love smoktechs mods, using the natural currently...had a box mod that I like and well it died... Treat herself to a zen or a clone genesis atomizer wrapping wicks and coils is easy and man what a difference it makes compared to silica or other wick styles. I just grabbed the sigeli(sp) zmax from electronic stix with a zattyu atomizer over the provari cause I like telescopes and wanted a vw/vv device... Plus the provari is eh... I don't like the look.

Nice! I just ordered the new stainless model smoktech groove hope its not a waste of money. 3800mah.

Itaste I think will still be better I'm partial to box mods just fits in my pocket better.

The itaste svd works great love that too was going to get a provari but couldn't justify the price.

Good hope ppl keep contributing links and places for good equipment.

Diamonds
04-09-2013, 12:39 PM
I feel you man. I have a agi rebuildables and a genny atty on the way just got my kanthal shipped, need to get some ss mesh

I was going to go with natural wish I saw the deal on SVD u got free natural preorder but it expired by time I saw it.

I'm vaping on mr vape special blend menthol mix with a little but of unique cigs menthol juice. Enjoying it.

Zepp
04-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Check out electronicstix.com, great prices on pre rolled wicks and sheets of ss(go with 1"x5/8") works good for me, be warned though that website will drain yer pocket...quickly

I feel you man. I have a agi rebuildables and a genny atty on the way just got my kanthal shipped, need to get some ss mesh

I was going to go with natural wish I saw the deal on SVD u got free natural preorder but it expired by time I saw it.

I'm vaping on mr vape special blend menthol mix with a little but of unique cigs menthol juice. Enjoying it.

Diamonds
04-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Nice thanks I will probably put in an order tonight for mesh, was just going to ask you about the size too.

What gauge do u use. I got 30 for the wire because it had a good sale.

I'm thinking 400? For the mesh or do u use 325 ?

Zepp
04-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Nice thanks I will probably put in an order tonight for mesh, was just going to ask you about the size too.

What gauge do u use. I got 30 for the wire because it had a good sale.

I'm thinking 400? For the mesh or do u use 325 ?

check out some of zens videos on the youtube *(Rebuidable atomizer- The Zenesis PV, Genesis Atomizer | Guide To Vaping (http://guidetovaping.com/2011/11/diy-rebuildable-atomizer-the-genesis/)), i use both 325(high vg mixes) and 400(pg/vg mixes), i have a ton of 32 gauge wire i use, im debating on getting several types (28, 30). 4/5 wraps of 32 gauge gets me around 1.6-1.8 ohms @ 3.7 volts on my mechanicals gives a great warm vape decent TH and good vapor production. On my VW/VV device im going with 1.7 ohms at 5.5 watts and it is a steam engine, good god does it pump out vapor... when I get home ill try to takje pics of my setups so far...

Diamonds
04-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Nice thanks ill check em out! I just started waiting for all my mods and accessories to trickle in.

My second go around with vaping and I think it'll stick this time around.

Dirtypacman
04-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the thread, very informative.

Diamonds
04-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Haha thanks! Just wanted to have some vape info for those interested there's more options millions but that's the best I could do to collect it in one place for a starting point pol

Zepp
04-09-2013, 08:52 PM
625546255862559Here are my three genesis set ups so far....more to come [smile]
first one is an AGA2 T+ on a natural by smok, next one is a zenesis zatty on a sigeli zmax vv/vw, last one is a zen standard stainless steel.....

Diamonds
04-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Now that's some good looking mods I only have Mu unclear tanks no rebuildables have shipped yet haha.

Ill post once I get my mods in.... It'll be awhile for some as they were preorders

andypieces
04-09-2013, 08:56 PM
WTF! I had no idea there was this much popularity with this stuff!!!!!

Zepp
04-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks diamonds! Andy... They have a huge forum a vapecon thingy and plenty of states trying to ban them....kinda like guns expensive, addicting, many custom options and one hell of an opinionated following ;)

Hiltonizer
04-09-2013, 09:51 PM
v2cigs.com is good for the more basic stuff if, despite Diamonds excellent breakdown, you'd rather just try something turnkey. They make some of the throw-away gas station types but my experience with their pre-filled cartridges system on their website has been good. I was not a heavy smoker when I switched however, I had cut back substantially before going to ecigs.

Rick1987
04-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the help diamonds.

My itaste mvp should be here Thursday.

Now I'm thinking about getting a rebuildable tank.

What would you recommend for a newbie?

Zepp
04-09-2013, 10:24 PM
AGA-T2 Genesis Rebuildable Atomizer (http://www.cloudsofvapor.com/store/187-rebuildable-atomizerstanks/1699-aga-t2-genesis-rebuildable-atomizer.html)
This is a genesis clone, for thirty dollars it is pretty good, check out my earlier post wich will give you some vids on how to set them up. Feel free to pm me for any questions or check out the Ecf forum... Not as cool as NES but lots of good info...

Thanks for the help diamonds.

My itaste mvp should be here Thursday.

Now I'm thinking about getting a rebuildable tank.

What would you recommend for a newbie?

Diamonds
04-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Or the AGI rebuildable as well also 30 bucks.

Your initial investment could be a bit costly, but it doesn't have to be. mr zepp there has some high end mods.. im talking 250 zep?

haha my max was 100 bucks for a mod kit. i ended up with 4 mods $100, $50, $55, $36 but you don't necessarily need more then 1 haha. I just like them.

Cost per month might be 30-40 bucks to reup on replacement heads / juice

If you rebuild, it'll cost you cents on the dollar, kanthal you can get 100 feet for like 10 bucks or less if you look and the mesh you can buy 1 big sheet and it'll last you for ages haha.

If you DIY juice, and experiment you can save even more but i'll pass on that let the vendors make the juice and find ones i like.

The V2 cigs is good for the 510 style cig look a likes. However for heavier smokers that myself and others that I have seen, the blu / v2 / greenhouse halo etc do not work for very long. The upside of those is size. As you said you had to cut back quite a bit but I agree the v2 is the better of the gas station style. awesome bro glad you cut down / quit. so far im doing well, with my vape by my side haha.

Skysoldier
04-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Shit, I was vaporizing back in the 70's.........it just wasn't tobacco juice!

Zepp
04-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Or the AGI rebuildable as well also 30 bucks.

Your initial investment could be a bit costly, but it doesn't have to be. mr zepp there has some high end mods.. im talking 250 zep?

Alcohol was involved.... Well worth it though....

Rick1987
04-13-2013, 04:34 PM
On my second day cigarette free!

Glasgow Grin
04-13-2013, 05:01 PM
If you're looking for a great all day juice, I highly suggest Copper Creek HouseBlend, or Boba's Bounty. Also, a great site for cartos is Madvapes.

Rick1987
04-14-2013, 07:33 PM
If you're looking for a great all day juice, I highly suggest Copper Creek HouseBlend, or Boba's Bounty. Also, a great site for cartos is Madvapes.

ordering the copper creek.

anyone else suggest a good e juice?

I ordered my girlfriend a ego twist so she can quit, but im not sure what flavor to get her. she wants something similar to her newports.

So I ordered her straight menthol e juice.

Zepp
04-14-2013, 08:17 PM
ordering the copper creek.

anyone else suggest a good e juice?

I ordered my girlfriend a ego twist so she can quit, but im not sure what flavor to get her. she wants something similar to her newports.

So I ordered her straight menthol e juice.
Check out electronicstix g2 flavors or their high caliber ejuices. Or for a good smokey flavor try Johnson creeks Tennessee cured, they have a good menthol as well...Wisconsin frost I think. Grab sample packs you'll be surprised what you may like. I only smoked new ports for years now I find myself enjoying absinthe and vanilla flavors over tobacco flavors.

Diamonds
04-17-2013, 12:13 AM
I'm using mr vapes special blend menthol and I also have some stratomyst raspberry cheese cake as well haha.

I realized the special blend menthol has a hint of coffee flavor either way I like it

upStomp
04-17-2013, 07:46 AM
There's a big vapers meet this Saturday in Northborough. PM me for details if interested.

Glasgow Grin
04-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Just one more awesome juice suggestion. Vermillion River Kentucky Applewood! Damn good!

Diamonds
04-17-2013, 10:16 AM
That's a hike for me, have a wedding to attend! Have fun and happy vaping my friends!

Btw anyone know if non protected batteries are okay to use in mechanical mods like all of the sigeleis rolling out? Or should I use protected ones?

Zepp
04-17-2013, 11:24 AM
That's a hike for me, have a wedding to attend! Have fun and happy vaping my friends!

Btw anyone know if non protected batteries are okay to use in mechanical mods like all of the sigeleis rolling out? Or should I use protected ones?
Stick with AW IMR battery's , they seem to be safest.

Diamonds
04-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Nice thanks. I have 5 mods now and a kicker for the mechanical ones. I'm done with my mod collection def more then I need. I use two primarily.

I have a v2 set I bought but don't care to use only used one cartridge still have 14 . Probably sell it to someone who likes the cig style ecig. Just got it this weekend.

Diamonds
04-25-2013, 08:43 PM
For anyone interested in my favorite mod that wont break the bank and is variable voltage

SteamBucker.com ? Innokin iTaste MVP Kit (http://steambucker.com/products/innokin-itaste-mvp)

a MVP sale i bought it for about 10 dollars more.

Knicks
09-11-2013, 10:58 AM
For anyone interested in my favorite mod that wont break the bank and is variable voltage

SteamBucker.com ? Innokin iTaste MVP Kit (http://steambucker.com/products/innokin-itaste-mvp)

a MVP sale i bought it for about 10 dollars more.

Bought the MVP at a local store for 65. Came with a protank and 2 bottles of e-juice. I also picked up a Vamo V3 which i like too. I've been smoke free since buying these. 8 days now.

Zepp
10-02-2013, 12:45 PM
There is a decent place in Raynham ma...by the flea market.... Called the vapor barn... Worth a look

Soldier415
10-02-2013, 12:59 PM
I run an eVic set up. Will post pics later. Good to see vaping is catching on in the NE

Rick1987
10-02-2013, 01:01 PM
There is a decent place in Raynham ma...by the flea market.... Called the vapor barn... Worth a look

its the Ecig barn.

they just opened a place in Fall River as well.

lancecolonel
10-02-2013, 01:22 PM
also a fairly new shop on 28 in salem n.h. gp vapor (used to be gamer planet, behind taco bell) guy has batteries, tanks, coils/cartos and mixes his own juice as you order it.