PDA

View Full Version : ?? .300 AAC / 7.62 x 35 ??

calsdad
03-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Visiting with a friend over the weekend and we started talking guns. He started telling me about this new AR he is building in .300 AAC - and I had to ask him: WTF is that?

Got to admit - this is a caliber I haven't heard anything about before. He was saying how this is the latest thing the military is going to adopt, major ammo manufacturers are ramping up to produce it...... etc etc.

After seeing how 6.8 and 6.5 have pretty much gone nowhere - I'm skeptical that this is going to be the next big thing.

Anybody have any insight into what is going on with this cartridge?

drgrant
03-29-2011, 02:43 PM
.300 AAC Blackout is pretty awesome, although good luck finding brass, etc, for it. Apparently Remington does load it commercially.

Neat caliber but even more obscure than 6.8 SPC is.

Also, half the allure is dead in MA because most of us can't legally own a suppressor. The "Killer App" for the .300 AAC is their subsonic load designed to be used with a
suppressor.

-Mike

atmay
03-29-2011, 02:44 PM
.300 AAC Blackout is pretty awesome, although good luck finding brass, etc, for it. Apparently Remington does load it commercially.

Neat caliber but even more obscure than 6.8 SPC is.

-Mike

I think it'd be even neater if:

a) I could afford to buy the upper Noveske makes
b) I could afford to move out of MA so I could get a can for it.

edmorseiii
03-29-2011, 02:45 PM
I am fighting myself to keep from the AAC koolaid. If I lived in NH, I would have built an upper already.

The idea that it uses everything I already have, just need a barrel is a big selling point to me.

bfm
03-29-2011, 04:51 PM
The idea that it uses everything I already have, just need a barrel is a big selling point to me.

Yeah. I knew about this a while ago as I have a friend who works for AAC. I like the idea of being able to use plentiful pre-ban mags and stock bolt etc and just change barrels to use. Still waiting to see how wide spread it gets and what it does for availability of ammo.

calsdad
03-29-2011, 05:49 PM
The friend lives in NH - so he is working on a Noveske upper - and a can. Looking at the specs though it looks to be a decent round even without a can.

The part that has got me wondering was his claim that the military was really buying into this round and will soon start mass producing ammo. That would really bring the cost down. I hadn't even heard about this round or seen it mentioned anywhere before - which makes me a bit skeptical of that whole claim.

edmorseiii
03-29-2011, 06:00 PM
From what I have read so far, the super sonic loads have similar ballistics as the 7.62x39 round at 100 yards. It would be a neat round for close in stuff, but IDK about pushing out to rifle ranges.

If I was looking for an other AR round, this would be the way I would go.

EddieCoyle
03-29-2011, 06:18 PM
How is it different from the .300 Whisper?

edmorseiii
03-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Remington/AAC is supposed to be putting a lot of weight behind it and I think it is SAAMI approved. Otherwise, I think it is basically the same. I remember reading Novseke reamed out their 300 whisper barrels for 300AAC.

atmay
03-29-2011, 06:26 PM
How is it different from the .300 Whisper?

Slightly different case shape, different name.

Other than that, it really isn't, as near as I can tell.

Uncle Fester
03-29-2011, 07:19 PM
The part that has got me wondering was his claim that the military was really buying into this round and will soon start mass producing ammo. That would really bring the cost down. I hadn't even heard about this round or seen it mentioned anywhere before - which makes me a bit skeptical of that whole claim.

Could be one of those "dumbest thing I heard at a gun store" type of things.

noddaduma
03-29-2011, 09:37 PM
If you're interested, here's the thread on The High Road talking about this round. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=547002

Project lead on the round development at AAC posted there. That's good insight.

Lamina
03-29-2011, 11:18 PM
.300 whisper, 300 AAC blackout, and .300 fireball are all the same cartridge. Changes between them are only enough to satisfy lawyers, and does not affect sideways compatibility as far as anyone who's tested can tell.

The cartridge is literally a .223 case that has been necked up to accept .308 projos.

Brass can be formed from .223 brass. LC is the best donor brass.

the round was designed for subsonic, suppressed use, though, as noted, it mimics 7.62x39 ballistics when pushed supersonic.

The only thing that changes in an AR chambered to shoot .223 is the barrel. Everything else stays the same.

It's a hoot to shoot subsonic through a can.

I haven't heard of the military being interested in adoption. "The military" looks at alot of stuff. They seriously consider far less. But they're happy to spend our money on bullshit that never goes anywhere, so nothing surprises me.

I have a bunch of first and second hand knowledge on this particular round, but if you want to know more than you ever could want to know, PM me and I'll put you in touch with a couple of guys.

TheFaz
03-30-2011, 02:29 PM
I've been looking at these rounds for a while and had thought of building an upper for my SBR to use with subsonics. However I keep coming back to the issue that the rounds basically duplicate the 7.62x39 ballistically. So while there are additional costs of a bolt and mags for the 7.62x39, I think that is more than offset by the much cheaper and more readily available ammunition, brass, dies, etc. There is subsonic ammo available for the x39 as well if you don't want to reload. If they offered something the russian round didn't I could see the additional expenditure, but I haven't yet.

Lamina
03-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Sure, but the AK is a shitty platform to suppress.

calsdad
03-30-2011, 09:43 PM
The only things that really would really make me interested in this round would be

1) if there was some significant military support - (meaning mass production and lower prices)

2) the fact that it is a necked up .223 case makes it work 'better' in standard AR mags, where as 7.62x39 in an AR mag is sort of a hack.

I wouldn't even care so much about that, but living in MA makes getting new mags that work well on non-standard AR calibers a chore. So far I have managed to buy a whole bunch of different rifles - that all take the same mags (30 round standard AR).

In general I try to apply a "would this work as a SHTF rifle" rule to rifles I buy - which for me translates into easy and affordable ammo - and mag availability.

drgrant
03-30-2011, 09:59 PM
#1 is never going to happen, so you can count that out. Rounds like 6.8 SPC and this round will always be "roll your own if you don't want to go broke" at least for the foreseeable future.

-Mike

EddieCoyle
03-30-2011, 10:03 PM
The cartridge is literally a .223 case that has been necked up to accept .308 projos.

The only thing that changes in an AR chambered to shoot .223 is the barrel. Everything else stays the same.

This isn't true with the .300 Whisper. You have to trim the livin' shit out of it, then neck it up. I know because I've made them. The case for the .300 Whisper is 0.410" shorter than the 5.56/.223 (1.35" vs. 1.76").

No offense meant (really) but are you as sure of this:

.300 whisper, 300 AAC blackout, and .300 fireball are all the same cartridge.
as you were on the rest of the post, or are you guessing based on something you've read? I'm not being snarky, but are you sure?

drgrant
03-30-2011, 10:45 PM
According to rsilvers in that thread, there is a SAAMI spec for .300 AAC, there isn't one for .300 Whisper, it's basically considered a wildcat.

-Mike

Lamina
03-30-2011, 10:49 PM
This isn't true with the .300 Whisper. You have to trim the livin' shit out of it, then neck it up. I know because I've made them. The case for the .300 Whisper is 0.410" shorter than the 5.56/.223 (1.35" vs. 1.76").

No offense meant (really) but are you as sure of this:

as you were on the rest of the post, or are you guessing based on something you've read? I'm not being snarky, but are you sure?

Positive. As positive as I can be never having fired all three cartridges in all three chambers.

Two of my close buddies were about to roll out a business producing uppers and cans for .300 whisper, very much in the way AAC has, but AAC beat them to the punch. A core part of their business model was going to be produce and sell the ammo at just about cost in order to make their other products more attractive. They purchased a couple of industrial grade presses and were about to move into the next phase when AAC rolled out their own line.

They'd done a bunch of product testing involving compatibility between .300 whisper and .300 fireball.

I've spoken a bit to Lars, at Umlaut Arms about it and his info states that whisper and AAC blackout are backwards compatible as well.

With regard to the reloading process, yes, I know it involves more than just necking the rounds up. I simplified it for the non reloaders among us. I have not personally made any from .223 brass, but I have watched it done on my press, with my case trimmer, in my basement.

Like I said, if you want to know far more about it than I do, I'll happily put you in touch with the right people.

EddieCoyle
03-30-2011, 10:51 PM
You watched it on a case trimmer? You're full of shit. You don't trim .410 off a case with a case trimmer. Stop now.

Seriously.

Which brand of dies did you use to size it first? What was the parent case?

What did you use for a trimmer?

Lamina
03-31-2011, 12:27 AM
You watched it on a case trimmer? You're full of shit. You don't trim .410 off a case with a case trimmer. Stop now.

Seriously.

FOS, eh?

Wrong... hornady case trimmer, cause thats what we had available.

Unless my buddies had something else going on while they were pulling .308 tracers to load a couple hundred rounds of .300 whisper tracers with. Because my buddies package that contained all the ammo for that particular gun didn't make it in time from TX.

Now you've done pissed me off.

The parent casing was LC09 brass, IIRC. My buddy mentioned something about the neck thickness being the best with the lake city brass. He say's it's more uniform and never is too big.

The dies were Redding dies, sold as .300/ .221 remington dies.

And, as a point of correction, (I'm on the phone with my friend now) my buddy wasn't using my case trimmer... he was using a case trimmer we had just picked up at rileys. Specifically because I didn't have the special hornady shell holders for .223 yet that are required for use on the hornady case trimmer.

So no, I'll not stop it. My buddy will be along shortly to clear up anything I've misrepresented or mistaken. He's got an account here. You're a mod, so I'm sure you're capable of noting that his IP is from TX...

Lamina
03-31-2011, 12:29 AM
I'll note that I wasn't entirely correct on the chambering issue...

But the short of it is, that if your whisper/fireball barrel isn't working with AAC ammo, then a kiss with a chamber reamer should solve it. They are that close.

sharky47
03-31-2011, 12:43 AM

Seriously.

I am the guy Lamina is referring to. Been messing with the .300W cartridge since about '06 or so - all my work has been with the AR platform. We have done suppressed, supersonic, subsonic, full-auto, 16" barrel, 10" barrel, I have even lathe turned my own bullets. 90% of the load data I use, I authored with the help of Quickload. Even have a dandly little subsonic tracer load that cycles, stabilizes, and lights at 100% so far (tested about 300 rounds so far with various lots of milsurp bullets).

I have built several uppers for myself and others, I always start with barrels that have no gas port - I turn the gas block shoulder back and drill the port myself, thread the barrels as needed.

You can trim any amount off a case with a manual case trimmer. All depends on how much extra time on your hands.

I have a Hornady trimmer that I converted to a power feed using some universal drive components we make at work - they are intended for the model helicopter industry - but work well for my purpose. With this setup I can trim a 5.56 case into a .300W donor in seconds, but I usually do this on the vertical mill at work - even faster.

We were in a pinch when I was at Lamina's house last November and I was forced to use a RCBS Trim Pro Manual tool like this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=114864

It sucked, but I used what we had to get the job done so we could go shoot.

I was there, I am the guy that did trim ".410 off a case with a case trimmer".

Seriously.

I used Redding ".300/221 Remington" dies, group D - I only use Lake City brass as a donor as many commercial brands have too thick of sidewalls. Since the sidewall becomes the neck when you form the brass, if it's too thick - it won't go into battery without neckturning. I have NEVER had a problem with LC brass and I have formed thousands of cases from it.

.300 Whisper, .300 Fireball, .300 Blackout are not 100% exactly the same. They do share the same headspace, the noticeable differences are in the tolerances, trim length, and OAL - which also affects the amount of freebore recommended as well as load data.

Most barrels are compatible with Blackout, and any barrel can be make compatible with Blackout with a very very minor kiss of the reamer.

sharky47
03-31-2011, 12:44 AM
Here is my YT channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sharky4747?feature=mhum

Lamina
03-31-2011, 12:50 AM
Everybody, meet Sharky.

If we were lucky, he'd stick around.

EddieCoyle
03-31-2011, 07:38 AM
Everybody, meet Sharky.

If we were lucky, he'd stick around.

I stand corrected.

Welcome Sharky.

I don't have a lathe, but I do have an industrial floor-standing belt sander. I used that to take most of it off. It takes about 5 seconds per case.

Trebor
03-31-2011, 11:18 AM
.300 AAC Blackout is pretty awesome, although good luck finding brass, etc, for it.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/New-Remington-300-Brass-Primed-1723

drgrant
03-31-2011, 11:40 AM
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/New-Remington-300-Brass-Primed-1723

I should have been more clear.

I didn't mean to imply it doesn't exist at all, but good luck getting thousands of pieces of it cheaply, like you can with .223 and .308.

-Mike

sharky47
03-31-2011, 12:09 PM
I stand corrected.

Welcome Sharky.

I don't have a lathe, but I do have an industrial floor-standing belt sander. I used that to take most of it off. It takes about 5 seconds per case.

I use the manual lathes for barrel work, but I make the bullets on the CNC machines.

I didn't mean to imply it doesn't exist at all, but good luck getting thousands of pieces of it cheaply, like you can with .223 and .308.

-Mike

That is true, but most people involved with this cartridge are dedicated handloaders, so dealing with all the drama that goes with wildcat rounds is not that big of a deal.

I form 5.45 from 5.56 and 7.7 Jap from .270/30-06 - same crap to deal with......

Good news is that Remington has 3+ million rounds of super and subsonic .300W ammo in production, it is starting to trickle out to the market now.

edmorseiii
03-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Good news is that Remington has 3+ million rounds of super and subsonic .300W ammo in production, it is starting to trickle out to the market now.

Damn it, I may need to pick out a barrel, I have to many projects going on right now.

Trebor
04-01-2011, 09:23 AM

-Mike

Same price as Remington 223 brass:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=1601178557

atmay
04-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Same price as Remington 223 brass:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=1601178557

That seems a little steep to me. A few more bucks will get you a case of XM193 or M855.

rsilvers
06-25-2011, 09:45 PM
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=73274

highlander
06-26-2011, 04:52 PM
I have a Noveske upper in 300 AAC and I love it. Made brass from 223/5.56 brass using a file and trim die and a saws all. Made 1500 cases took about a week doing a couple hundred at a time.
right now the only factory ammo is a 220 gr subsonic load is relativly quiet for a 30 cal rd. Have run about 150 rds of reloads and factory thru the upper and my only compaint is it throws brass aways and is rough on case rims. Repaced the buffer with an H2 buffer and a Wolff XP buffer spring and that seem to solve the locating brass/mangle rim problem. Bullet weight on the reloads is 110 gr M1 carbine bullet and modest charges of H110. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Coyote33
06-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Wait, Remington is behind it? THIS Remington:

30 Remington® AR
- Centerfire Rifle Cartridges (http://www.remington.com/product-families/ammunition/centerfire-families/30-remington-ar.aspx)

I guess this is an also ran?
Introducing the 7.62X40-the new .30 caliber AR solution (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=77840)

Wilson Combat Debuts New 7.62×40 WT Cartridge, Barrel, Rifles (http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/04/robert-farago/wilson-combat-introduces-new-7-62x40-wt-cartridge/)

The Practical .30 Cal. AR-15 Solution (http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=532626)

And what ever happened to the "NEXT BIG THING", the .30 TC (http://www.google.com/search?q=%2230+caliber%22+hunting+round+%22new%22&hl=en&biw=1020&bih=581&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=,qdr:y#sclient=psy&hl=en&lr=&tbs=qdr:y&source=hp&q=%2230+TC%22&aq=0&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=%2230+TC%22&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=27b93cf21cbb40b9&biw=1020&bih=581)?

Oh, and the 6.8?

Geez, and the .300 Savage STILL keeps popping up in searches. Must have REALLY been something back in its day.

Oh yeah:
Dupe!
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/129312-Remington-factory-ammo?highlight=300++blackout

Aaaaaaaaaand Dupe!
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/125320-300-Blackout-upper?highlight=300+aac+blackout

rsilvers
06-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Is the 30 TC a SAAMI cartridge? I have not heard of it, as far as I can remember.

Anyway, this is different - I think obviously. Works in an AR - the most popular rifle, and lets it shoot 30 cal using cheap brass and with only a barrel change.

rsilvers
07-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Western Powders finished their load data:

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=73990

DavidC77
03-12-2012, 02:35 AM

Welcome to NES Sharky.

Good news also, I've seen a few companys making 300 Whisper uppers

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_799601_-1_772153_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

S&W says in their write up that it will shoot 300 Whisper and 300 AAC Blackout.

vellnueve
03-12-2012, 06:37 AM
If we still have gun rights in the summer of 2013, I intend to buy one...

thehoyt
03-12-2012, 11:21 AM
I have a .300 upper. It shoots extremely well for a "wildcat". Almost no recoil, seems quieter then a 5.56 round, and isn't too expensive in the ammo dept. However, I am having issues with it. I seem to be short stroking. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to try and diagnose the problem. Once I get this to be a semi-auto and not a single shot, I'm going to enjoy this rifle and round.

cekim
03-12-2012, 01:27 PM
If we still have gun rights in the summer of 2013, I intend to buy one...
You seem to be going about that backwards... [laugh]

vellnueve
03-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Very true [rofl]

wdcollard
03-12-2012, 03:59 PM
300 AAC @zero 100 yards
Ballistics Calculation

Input Variables
Firearm type Rifle Sight Height 1.5
Bullet Weight (grains) 125 Ballistic Coefficient 0.398
Muzzle Velocity (fps) 2275 Temperature 59
Barometric Pressure (hg) 29.53 Relative Humidity 78%
Zero Range (yards) 100 Wind Speed (mph) 0

Ballistics Table in Yards
300 125 gr., 0.398 B.C. www.hornady.com

Range (yards) Muzzle 50 100 200 300 400 500
Velocity (fps) 2275 2173 2074 1883 1704 1539 1391
Energy (ft.-lb.) 1436 1311 1193 984 806 658 537
Trajectory (100 yd. zero) -1.5 0.2 0.0 -6.6 -23.1 -51.5 -94.7
Come Up in MOA -1.5 -0.3 0.0 3.2 7.3 12.3 18.1

300 AAC @zero 175 yards
Ballistics Calculation

Input Variables
Firearm type Rifle Sight Height 1.5
Bullet Weight (grains) 125 Ballistic Coefficient 0.398
Muzzle Velocity (fps) 2275 Temperature 59
Barometric Pressure (hg) 29.53 Relative Humidity 78%
Zero Range (yards) 175 Wind Speed (mph) 0

Ballistics Table in Yards
300AAC 125 gr., 0.398 B.C. www.hornady.com

Range (yards) Muzzle 50 100 200 300 400 500
Velocity (fps) 2275 2173 2074 1883 1704 1539 1391
Energy (ft.-lb.) 1436 1311 1193 984 806 658 537
Trajectory (175 yd. zero) -1.5 1.3 2.3 -1.9 -16.0 -42.1 -83.0
Come Up in MOA -1.5 -2.6 -2.2 0.9 5.1 10.1 15.9

Ballistics look pretty good to me. I have a thread asking for input myself...

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/152077-Looking-for-some-input-for-an-AR-build

jasons
03-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Ballistics look pretty good to me.

The ballistics are a yawnfest unless you want to run it suppressed at relatively short range.

EddieCoyle
03-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Does Hornaady make a 125gr .308" bullet with a .398 BC?

jasons
03-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Does Hornaady make a 125gr .308" bullet with a .398 BC?

I don't see any 125gr .308s in their catalog at at.... I would think most guys would want to run something a bit heavier anyway.

Hornady's factory loads are either 208 grain (subsonic) or 110 grain (supersonic.)

http://www.hornady.com/store/300-Whisper/

http://www.hornady.com/assets/images/products/ammo/gel/300-whisper-208gr-amax.jpg

[thinking]

Very low recoil – ideal for youth and women [rofl]

highlander
03-12-2012, 06:59 PM
If I may I have a 300 AAC upper and made my brass by running 223 cases thru a Redding form die and cut the excess off with a sawzall clean up with a file and deburr.

MetalgodZ
03-12-2012, 07:54 PM
If I may I have a 300 AAC upper and made my brass by running 223 cases thru a Redding form die and cut the excess off with a sawzall clean up with a file and deburr.
Pure curiousity... How many times can you reload the .223 / 5.56 brass before it's so gone it can't be turned down and made into 300 AAC?

As I'm lacking the ability to legally suppress anything, pretty much only two reasons I'd be interested would be in order to use .223/5.56 cases with cracked necks that were no longer usable for 5.56 reloads, and to have a cartridge that will fit an existing rifle & mag setup with only an upper change, that is minimally sufficient for deer-sized things. If by the time I get 2-3 loads out of the 5.56 brass, it's too dead to turn down into .300 AAC, it'd be significantly less attractive to me.

highlander
03-12-2012, 08:42 PM
If my memory is correct the 300 AAC is 1.365" and I trim to 1.355" so you'll be lopping off about .400 the 223 for just below the shoulder.

gm991
03-30-2012, 11:02 AM
So
I would like to shoot a .300 whisper or 300aac for white tail.
Would love to turn my AR into a deer gun....:)

So am I right that I can just buy one of these uppers and my .223 mag's and
anvil arms lower will work fine with this round?
if so is there a local place (eastern MA) I could buy one?
What are they running cost wise?

thanks

thehoyt
03-30-2012, 11:27 AM
So
I would like to shoot a .300 whisper or 300aac for white tail.
Would love to turn my AR into a deer gun....:)

So am I right that I can just buy one of these uppers and my .223 mag's and
anvil arms lower will work fine with this round?
if so is there a local place (eastern MA) I could buy one?
What are they running cost wise?

thanks

All 5.56 AR parts work except the barrel. I get 30 rounds in my PMags with no issues. The lower does not matter; it will work. Keep in mind some barrel companies set up their barrels for different setups (SBR subsonic with suppressor, 16 inch barrel with supersonic etc.). My barrel is a 16 inch carbine gas length that is currently set up for supersonic. At first, I had a single shot but the gas port on my FSB was blocking the gas port. Now that it is fixed, I adore the round and rifle. YMMV

gm991
03-30-2012, 11:41 AM
All 5.56 AR parts work except the barrel. I get 30 rounds in my PMags with no issues. The lower does not matter; it will work. Keep in mind some barrel companies set up their barrels for different setups (SBR subsonic with suppressor, 16 inch barrel with supersonic etc.). My barrel is a 16 inch carbine gas length that is currently set up for supersonic. At first, I had a single shot but the gas port on my FSB was blocking the gas port. Now that it is fixed, I adore the round and rifle. YMMV

Sorry this is above my pay grade...:):):)
I'm new in the AR game, If I just want to use this for hunting can I just buy a 16 carbine barrel in .300 and drop it in the gun and go or are ALL .300's supersonic?
Would I have a blocked gas port problem??

thanks
Sorry if it seems like a silly question..;)

atmay
03-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Sorry this is above my pay grade...:):):)
I'm new in the AR game, If I just want to use this for hunting can I just buy a 16 carbine barrel in .300 and drop it in the gun and go or are ALL .300's supersonic?
Would I have a blocked gas port problem??

thanks
Sorry if it seems like a silly question..;)

You'd be better off buying a complete upper in .300.....uppers are plug-n-play. Barrel swaps are a little more complicated and NOT something that really ought to be done on a regular basis.

gm991
03-30-2012, 11:54 AM
You'd be better off buying a complete upper in .300.....uppers are plug-n-play. Barrel swaps are a little more complicated and NOT something that really ought to be done on a regular basis.

Thats what I was thinking, but two thoughts
one
Buy the .300 and sell my .223 and be done, but can you buy .300 in stores and how much $$?

two
buy the upper and go back and fourth, but how much is a complete upper cost and where can I get one?

thanks

atmay
03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
one
Buy the .300 and sell my .223 and be done, but can you buy .300 in stores and how much $$?

two
buy the upper and go back and fourth, but how much is a complete upper cost and where can I get one?

thanks

1) .223 will likely be waay more easily available than 300blk for a very long time. Keep the 223 upper.

2) I know Noveske offers uppers in 300blk, those are big money. Not sure who else makes them.

jasons
03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
one

two

thanks

Factory .300 ammo is hard to find and expensive if you don't load your own. (Looks like the cheap brands go for about a buck a round but a lot of it's on back order.)

A complete .300 upper new can range from around $600 to over $1000 depending on the brand, quality, and features.

If this is purely for hunting I'd buy a hunting rifle in a better caliber for around the same money.

I know Noveske offers uppers in 300blk, those are big money. Not sure who else makes them.

Noveske quality will probably go well over $1000. On the cheap side CMMG makes one that comes in around $600. Olympic has one at a similar price point.

Either one is too much for a fad caliber in my opinion.

HKdrummer
03-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Ya know, it's threads like this I want to show to anti's, who think gun owners are a bunch of toothless dummies. Just when I consider myself a smart gun owner who is fairly knowledgable about firearms and their components, I read a thread like this, get dizzy as hell, and slump over my laptop. By far one of the most interesting and informative type threads, IMO, that i've ever read on here.

Thanks guys!

EddieCoyle
03-30-2012, 12:04 PM
For hunting you're better off with 6.8 SPC. Ammo is easier to get too.

cekim
03-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Either one it too much for a fad caliber in my opinion.
Yes and no... It does make SBR'd AR/M16 much more interesting... As barrels keep getting shorter, the velocity drops and the whole nature of the gun as a "22" starts to show itself... Now with a bigger projectile, it can be more interesting.

jasons
03-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Yes and no... It does make SBR'd AR/M16 much more interesting... As barrels keep getting shorter, the velocity drops and the whole nature of the gun as a "22" starts to show itself... Now with a bigger projectile, it can be more interesting.

He's talking about hunting whitetail. I'm not much of a hunter but I don't think many hunters use SBR'ed ARs. [wink]

atmay
03-30-2012, 12:10 PM
He's talking about hunting whitetail. I'm not much of a hunter but I don't think many hunters use SBR'ed ARs. [wink]

Perfect brush gun [smile]

cekim
03-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Then they are doing it wrong... [laugh]

jasons
03-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Then they are doing it wrong... [laugh]

Maybe he's talking about "whitetail."

(Even then .300 wouldn't be my first choice.)

jasons
03-30-2012, 12:15 PM

gm991
03-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Maybe he's talking about "whitetail."

(Even then .300 wouldn't be my first choice.)

;););)

Anyways, most all my shots are inside 100 yards in the woods. a .300 would be fine, just like my 30-30 I would guess.

thanks

gm991
03-30-2012, 12:35 PM
For hunting you're better off with 6.8 SPC. Ammo is easier to get too.

whats this 6.8 SPC you speak of?

is everthing but the barrel the same like if I bought a .300?
thanks

EddieCoyle
03-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Barrel, bolt, and mag change for a 6.8 SPC.

thehoyt
03-30-2012, 01:20 PM
I just got .300 for $.71 each round shipped, which is the cheapest I been able to find. Unfortunately, the company does not ship to MA. This caliber will be what sends me to start reloading, especially at the current prices. Supposedly, I heard that the prices will be coming down, but this is just a rumor I heard, so YMMV.

gm991
03-30-2012, 01:34 PM
where did you get your .300 upper and how much?
picture??...;);)

meth0d
03-30-2012, 02:22 PM
...2) I know Noveske offers uppers in 300blk, those are big money. Not sure who else makes them.

Advanced Armament
Advanced Armament (http://www.advanced-armament.com/)

As well as Smith & Wesson
Smith & Wesson (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_799047_-1_757784_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y)

Both offer .300 uppers as well.

gm991
03-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Advanced Armament
Advanced Armament (http://www.advanced-armament.com/)

As well as Smith & Wesson
Smith & Wesson (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_799047_-1_757784_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y)

Both offer .300 uppers as well.

Thanks for the info.
But you know what bum's me out?
The money they are asking for just an upper ($1000+)
That's BS, I paid $600 for the whole AR.

And I have seen you can build one with a chrome barrel for 500-700.
These price for some of this stuff I bet is marked up 200-300% over the cost to make it.
But I guess what ever the market will bare...:(

Coyote33
03-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Anyways, most all my shots are inside 100 yards in the woods. a .300 would be fine, just like my 30-30 I would guess.

Except you can go into a store in Northern NH, Maine, or VT, and get 30-30.

gm991
03-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Ok, so now I'm leaning something.
So you are saying I can't buy .300 in stores like 223 or 30-30?
I guess it's not a big deal, I can buy a couple boxs before I go hunting, but that's kind of a bummer

gm991
03-30-2012, 05:04 PM
In some reading I did earlier I read that the 300 whisper will shoot wisper and 300 acc Blk but a 300acc blk barrell won't shoot 300 whisper.
If this is try the wisper barrel is the no brainier....;)